I last shared my insights when Rockwell was four months old. I'm pretty sure all of you who have been mothers much longer than me will laugh at my insights. For me, though, it's still a whole new world, one I never thought would be so rewarding or so enjoyable and I'm learning so much as my baby grows (to tell the truth I was quite pessimistic when it came to having children before Rocky was born) So here are some more deep thoughts I've had recently concerning our new life (laugh if you want, I realize they are quite simple and silly):
-I was jogging at the BYUI Center indoor track yesterday and I passed two new mommies walking with their babies and i realized "Wow, I have more experience at parenting than someone in this world". I didn't mean it mean, but it was nice to see how far we'd come.
-After I had the previous thought i realized that though I had more experience I surely don't have enough experience to start giving new mothers advice. My only advice is to take fuzzy socks and chocolate in your hospital bag. Other than that I only know what works for me and my baby.
-The thought that followed that thought consisted of thinking how we're just doing what works for us and that is enough. When I have more kids we'll adjust and figure out what works then.
-As his personality is starting to show it strikes me that he's always had this personality and the more I learn of him the more the previous 10 months make sense (does that even make sense?) It's like he's waking up from a fog that protected him from learning too much too fast so his new little brain wouldn't explode, but he was always there. Not a new spirit, but a spirit just waiting until his body started letting him be more himself.
-I am SO much more comfortable with other kids now- especially little babies. I know to some people it comes so naturally and though they don't have kids of their own they never hesitate to borrow someone else's child. Not so with me. But now I know what is needed for the other mother and the baby. Still not 100% but getting there.
-I love him all the time. I'm liking him more and more every day. Some days I don't like him at all.
-I am so very grateful that I've been able to experience these first ten months with him. Babysitting has allowed me to be with him so much.
2 comments:
Its so crazy how much we all learn from having children. I agree with your "still can't give advice" insight. I would love to be able to but really every situation is different and no matter what worked great for me might not work at all for someone else.
I thought your post was so insightful! I can totally relate to it, especially the part about realizing that kids have always had their personality and it is just us learning about it!
Post a Comment