Saturday, September 11, 2010

Calvin Ball

I grew up with 4 sisters and all girls in my primary class. Playtime sounded something like this:
"pretend your barbie is mad at my barbie"
and
"Say your barbie comes over to my house"
It was a great way to grow up and it worked quite well until you got sick of telling each other what to do. Now I get to babysit a 4 year old boy and have the joy of playing with him and his friends. Something I didn't know about boys: anything goes! And I love to play along! let me demonstrate a conversation we had (I'll call him J):

J (on the porch): you're, you're the bad guy. I'm shooting your ship
Me (on the ground with the younger kids: oh no I'm sinking!
J: now you back alive.
Me: Ok, now I shot your ship
J: my ship is made of stuff that can't sink. Now, now, I shot your ship adin (again)
Me: But i just put up a forcefield around my ship
J: Well I have bullets dat can shoot through forcefields

And it just keeps going until fighting breaks loose. Get the picture? It's awesome! Too bad real life can't be like this sometimes. I mean like "your bank account is empty" "Well, i just put a million dollars in it" kind of life. I guess there's no point to this post except this: every boy plays Calvin Ball.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

hahaha! Sounds like a sweet time with those boys. I definitely loved playiing "Barbies" when I was little!

Camile said...

That would be really cool if I could just tell the bank I put $1 Million in the bank (or just $1,000)!

Rockwell is going to be the luckiest boy to have a mom who will play "Calvin Ball" with him.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.