Forgive my urge to write for a minute. It has been a means of comfort for me in the past and I haven't done it for a while. The problem is that things at work aren't going well for me. I've worked there for two months. I love it! I love the people I work with I love working with the costumers, the brides, everything. It's a great job and I'm soooo grateful for it. Well, I'm afraid I still havn't quite gotten the hang of it and just got strike two in a situation that feels more like baseball than is comfortable. I won't go into the details, but it's really gotten me down this weekend. Lots of tears, frustration, taking to Troy, beating myself up, running through the mistakes over and over, thoughts of quiting and finding a new job, etc.
The thought of being fired to me is synonymous with failure! I don't fail! So now what do I do? Pre-emptive strike and quite before I have to explain in my future job interviews about being fired? Or do I keep going? Well, that's been my weekend. Today was different, though. I had the day off so I was doing dishes and brooding over my misfortunes when it hit me.... I've felt this before many times, and where has it gotten me? I'll tell you where it's gotten me...
It's gotten me to leave home, work on a ranch and become the one of the best (and youngst) draft horse team driver of that year. I didn't think I could do it. It was a scary job for someone so young. I remember many tears and many prayers.
It drove me to become a darn good pizza maker and manager of that pizza store. It's gotten me through two chemistry classes, and loads of tests in school. I've bought a home, sold it and bought another one starting out with no idea how to do all the paper work. I've also learned to navigate a completely new city, learned to cut rebar and build domes (earning quite large biceps in the process), thrived in a close-quarter office setting, handled classrooms of crazy kids, learned to get a long with many bosses and many co-workers. AND to top it all of I did graduate from College with the degree I wanted.
So what's my point? Each time I've felt exactly like I do now - that failure is just around the corner, and every time it's been a turning point for me to decide that it wasn't around the corner and that I was going to conquer these tasks-not for the money, not for the recognition, but because I DON'T FAIL! and I don't quit! I will not put up with it! This is my turning point.... selling dresses will not get the better of me!
4 comments:
good for you!! way impressive :) you can do it. i loved this post. much encouragement... thank you!
Alison! You are the best and I love you. I know you can do it too!
Oh Alie, I just love you. You have always been so strong, and you make me so happy. I hope everything works out for the better for you! And I have to say, you did run a dang good pizza place. :)
Way to go finding the silver lining! I know you can do it! You are awesome and I loved this post!
Post a Comment